We have all at least once in our lives had a pet in the classroom, but what are the pros and cons of having one?
According to americanhumane.org, there are three positives of class pets:
- Enhancing lessons with science and nature.
- Encourage responsibility.
- Provide calm and relaxation.
According to americanhumane.org, there are also three negatives for class pets:
- Being responsible for additional costs.
- Caring for the pet outside of school hours and on breaks.
- Managing the students’ interactions with the animals.
PJSHS English teacher, Mrs. Simpson, said “I think it’s neat, and I can see the benefit”.
Senior Jones said, “I would say classroom pets are a good idea as long as they are small animals, because I feel like big animals for class pets like dogs will be a distraction.”
Overall, it seems the opinion is positive but the size of the animal depends and the classroom.